State Fire Marshal Charles Duffy issued a reminder this week that cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries, with Thanksgiving being the peak day for cooking fires. Most home cooking fires are the result of the range or stove being left unattended.
The Office of State Fire Marshal offers the following cooking safety tips to prevent cooking fires:
- Never leave cooking unattended. If you leave the kitchen, turn the burner or oven off.
- Watch what you are cooking, fires can start when the heat is too high. If you see any smoke or if any grease starts to boil, turn the burner off.
- Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove.
- Keep a pan lid or baking sheet nearby and use it to cover the pan if it catches on fire. This should put the fire out, or at least keep it under control.
- Wear short sleeves or roll sleeves up.
- Keep an ABC-rated fire extinguisher in an accessible location.
For more information on cooking safety, visit the National Fire Protection Association at www.nfpa.org.