Editors note: This story has been updated after the Northwest District 2A Cross Country Championships team scores were updated on athletic.net.
Five Mountlake Terrace Hawks have qualified for the State 2A cross country meet set for Saturday, Nov. 4, after their strong finishes at the district championships this past Saturday at South Whidbey High School.
At the Northwest District 2A Cross Country Championships, Terrace’s Jaden Lofrese and Alex Williams placed high enough to punch their ticket to the WIAA state championship meet. Lofrese finished fifth in the 2A district boys race while Williams
placed 17th respectively.
The Hawk boys’ squad finished sixth in the 2A team competition at districts; Sehome won the 2A team district title with three runners finishing in the top ten.
On the girls’ side, Joan Park, Meagan Williams and Marika Jamtaas will be representing Terrace at the state meet on Saturday. Park placed 13th at the 2A district meet, Williams finished 23rd and Jamtaas ran to a 26th place finish.
The Hawks placed fifth in the loaded 2A district girls team competition, just one spot from an automatic team berth to state; Bellingham, Sehome, Cedarcrest and Liberty – all ranked in the latest top 10 2A state coaches poll – qualified their squads for the state meet with Bellingham coming out at the top of the heap at the district championships.
The WIAA State Cross Country Championships will be staged Saturday on the Sun Willows Golf Course in Pasco. For more information on the state meet, click www.wiaa.com/subcontent.aspx?SecID=1147.
Prep Cross Country: Mountlake Terrace at Northwest District 2A Cross Country Championships, Oct. 28 (5,000 meters, South Whidbey High School)
Boys team scores:
1. Sehome 60 (qualified for state meet)
2. Bellingham 83 (qualified for state meet)
3. Liberty (Issaquah) 104 (qualified for state meet)
4. Cedarcrest 107 (qualified for state meet)
5. Lynden 136
6. Mountlake Terrace 156
7. Burlington-Edison 207
8. Lakewood 229
9. Granite Falls 242
10. Sammamish 251
11. Anacortes 274
12. Archbishop Murphy 290
13. Sedro-Woolley 297
14. Blaine 422
Top Mountlake Terrace boy runners:
5. Jaden Lofrese, 16:46.93 (qualified for state meet)
17. Alex Williams, 17:15.49 (qualified for state meet)
30. Josh Ernst, 17:36.66
51. Tymothy Harris, 18:16.59
53. Kendall Yackley, 18:18.57
Girls team scores:
1. Bellingham 58 (qualified for state meet)
2. Sehome 75 (qualified for state meet)
3. Cedarcrest 91 (qualified for state meet)
4. Liberty (Issaquah) 111 (qualified for state meet)
5. Mountlake Terrace 148
6. Lakewood 161
7. Anacortes 197
8. Sedro-Woolley 205
9. Archbishop Murphy 229
10. Burlington-Edison 236
11. Blaine 290
12. Sammamish 343
13. Lynden 359
Top Mountlake Terrace girl runners:
13. Joan Park, 20:40.59 (qualified for state meet)
23. Meagan Williams, 21:09.24 (qualified for state meet)
26. Marika Jamtaas, 21:13.94 (qualified for state meet)
38. Alexandria Gill-More, 22:03.62
48. Sandra Hart, 23:08.12
–By Doug Petrowski