Improperly installed flue suspected cause of Sunday house fire

A house fire in the 5700 block of 240th Street Southwest on Sunday, Dec. 23, was contained to the attic, keeping damage estimates to approximately $4,000. No one was hurt in the blaze.

Fire District 1 crews responded to the home after a neighbor called 911 reporting smoke coming from the attic at 10:48 p.m.

Fire investigators found charring in the joists around a pellet stove flue in the house, said Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes. It is suspected the fire started due to an improperly installed flue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.

By commenting here you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Please read our code at the bottom of this page before commenting.