Students from the Lynnwood High horticulture program and Mountlake Terrace High Latino Club are partnering with the Everett Housing Authority to build a community garden with the goal of providing families in need with fresh food during the summer months.
Edmonds-Woodway High alumna Yin Yu is a student at Evergreen College and has volunteered with Everett Housing Authority in the past. She recognized that the children have lunch when in school, but during the summer months, they often have no healthy food. During November, the LHS and MTHS students will travel to the housing location twice to create a rain garden and vegetable garden and install a rain barrel and red-worm composting bin system.
Donations needed include:
- Gloves for children at the residence and student volunteers,
- Rain barrel (needed in Spring 2011),
- Worm compost bin (needed in Spring 2011),
- Soil 10-yard load,
- Gravel 1 yard 5/8 crush rocks and 1 yard river coobas,
- Wood to raise the garden bed (12×29′),
- Garden tools and tool shed, and
- Cash donations to purchase miscellaneous items for recognitions and to show appreciation to volunteers.
Please contact Gary McLaughlin at LHS is you have items you wish to donate.
[image courtesy UGArdener]