I would love to get more people involved with MLTnews.com and contributing stories.
In addition to people writing stories, I would love for those of you who are into videography or photography to get involved. This can be as easy as taking a photo or something happening in MLT with your phone or showing up to events with your video camera to get some video that we can post.
Head over to our register page, put in your chosen username and email and you’ll get a temporary password emailed to you. Log in and you’re ready to go. That’s it.
When you log in just click on “Add New” in the left sidebar under “Post” and you’re all set to start reporting.
What type of posts are we looking for? There’s too many to count.: general news, new businesses, crime, community events, sports
Here’s some quick tips on types of posts that will likely not get published (borrowed from Neighborlogs):
- Questions without answers
- When is _____ going to open? What’s the best _____ in the neighborhood? Both represent fine springboards for a fully formed post. To get published, these posts require a little research into what is already known about the topic and should offer the readers some value like what you think the answer is given what is known.
- Already been posted posts
- Before you write a post do a quick search on the site to make sure the same information hasn’t been already posted. It’s great to expound on a previous post if there is new information but reposting the same information doesn’t help.
- Cross posts
- If you are posting the exact same content elsewhere, posting it on MLTnews.com is probably not necessarily helpful. I do post links and excerpts from stories on other sites but I would love to have as much original content on MLTnews.com as possible.
- Rants and raves
- Though some opinion is your writing is acceptable and encouraged, going on rants or raves probably won’t get your post published. Now if you’re an established contributor that has a bunch of posts under their belt, this may be okay occasionally. But don’t expect to sing up and have your first post be how much you hate/love a particular MLT business.
So what are you waiting for? Head to the register page, sign up and start contributing to your neighborhood news site.