Incense suspected cause of two-alarm Mountlake Terrace apartment fire

Firefighters clean up after the Taluswood fire. (Photo by Mark Hopkins)

Fire investigators believe incense place too close to combustibles sparked a two-alarm fire at a MountlakeTerrace apartment complex Monday morning, a spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1 said.

The fire was reported at 7:29 a.m. at the Taluswood Apartments in the 4100 block of 236th Street Southwest. “Dispatchers received a notification from the alarm company, then a minute later received a call from a resident reporting a fire in the J Building,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Fire District 1, which provides fire and emergency services in Mountlake Terrace.

The fire caused heavy damage to four apartments on the third-floor and water damage to at least eight other units, Hynes said. Red Cross is assisting the residents displaced from the 12 apartments. Residents of all but two of the 12 apartments had renters insurance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.

By commenting here you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Please read our code at the bottom of this page before commenting.