A team of six Brier Elementary students is heading to the finals of a Sno-Isle Libraries quiz bowl event scheduled to take place on Wednesday, March 26.
The Brier Bobcats will be pitted against four other teams in the Sno-Isle Libraries Mega-Fun, Biblio-Trivia, Rockem-Sockem Third-Grade Reading Challenge Wednesday, 7 p.m. at Rosehill Community Center in Mukilteo. The five final teams emerged from competitions at 26 schools, with 889 participating students, in Snohomish and Island counties.
The Reading Challenge is a quiz bowl program that encourages young students to enjoy reading while improving their literacy skills. Teams of five to nine readers answer questions based on the following six books selected by Sno-Isle Libraries staff:
- “Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things” by Lenore Look
- “Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective” (vol. 1) by Donald Sobol
- “The Great Cake Mystery” by Alexander McCall Smith
- “The Lemonade War” by Jacqueline Davies
- “Little Wolf’s Book of Badness” by Ian Whybrow
- “The Magical Ms. Plum” by Bonny Becker
The other teams who qualified for The Final Challenge are The Fantastics from Oak Harbor Elementary, The Reader Leaders from Mt. Pilchuck Elementary in Lake Stevens, The Wood Owl Readers from Discovery Elementary in Mukilteo, and The Reading Rebels from Eagle Creek Elementary in Arlington.
The Sno-Isle Libraries Mega-Fun, Biblio-Trivia, Rockem-Sockem Third-Grade Reading Challenge is funded by Sno-Isle Libraries Foundation with a grant from The Paul G. Allen Family Foundation.