Wall Heater Causes Fire at MLT House

351
0

On Tuesday afternoon a fire caused around $17,000 worth of damage on a Mountlake Terrace house:

A fire caused more than $17,000 damage to a Mountlake Terrace home this afternoon.

A neighbor heard the smoke alarm sounding at a single-story house in the 4700 block of 237th St. SW and reported the fire at 12:12 p.m. No one was home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.

Smoke was coming from the roof vents when firefighters arrived. Crews from Fire District 1, Lynnwood and Shoreline responded to the call and quickly extinguished the fire.

A Fire District 1 investigator determined the fire was most likely started by combustibles placed too close to a wall heater. Fire damage was contained to the laundry room and a wall in the family room. The family has insurance and will be able to stay in the house once electricity is restored.

This is a common cause of fires this time of year. Sometimes combustibles get placed too close to heaters that arent in use during warmer weather. This becomes a fire hazard when the temperatures drop and heaters turn on, said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1. To prevent fires, keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove or portable heater.

Leave a Reply