From it’s beginnings, veterans have always played an important role in the Mountlake Terrace community.
In 1949 develoepr Albert LaPierre and his partner Jack Peterson, bought an abandoned airstrip on logged-over land about 12 miles north of Seattle, just over the Snohomish County line, and began filling it with 640-square-foot cinder-block houses, priced at $4,999 and aimed at World War II veterans with young families.
They were tiny, even by the standards of that era, but “they were warm and dry and much better than the garages and basements where so many of the veterans had lived while they hunted for something better”.
Today we thank organizations in our community such as the American Legion and Fleet Reserve Association and all the men and women who have served our country.
*information from HistoryLink