With a first-round score of even par on Monday, Mountlake Terrace Hawk Mike Jenson leads the field after the first day of the District 1 3A Boys Golf Tournament being played at Snohomish Golf Course.
Jenson’s round of 72 put the senior on top of the leaderboard at the District 1 tourney, one stroke ahead of Andrew Martin of Everett and Quinton Borseth of Stanwood.
The final round of the two-day district competition is set for Tuesday, May 17; the top 17 district finishers will qualify for the WIAA 3A Boys Golf Championships scheduled for May 24-25 in Spokane.
Terrace boys golf Coach Tom Gorney expects Jenson to not only earn a berth to the state tourney for the third straight year, but to contend for a top spot in Spokane. “He’s got a good chance to win the district tournament this year and if he keeps his head about him I think he’ll do a great job at state as well,” Gorney said.
Gorney, who has coached golf at Terrace for 12 years, said Jenson is the best golfer to come through the school during that time.
“He’s a kid that can actually finish in the top 10 at state and I’ve never had anybody with that kind of capability before,” Gorney added.
Jenson played quarterback for the Hawk football team last fall and brings some muscle to the golf course. “He’s strong and hits the ball a long ways,” Gorney noted. But it’s Jenson’s ability around the greens that Gorney is most impressed with.
“His short game is as good as anybody I’ve ever seen,” Gorney explained. “He’s got a great short game; he can get it up and down from anywhere.”
Terrace’s Jacob Largent shot a first round 81 on Monday and is tied for tenth place.
Round two of the district tourney tees off at 8 a.m. at Snohomish Golf Course on Tuesday.
Prep Boys Golf: District 1 3A Boys Golf Championships, Day One results (18 holes, par 72, Snohomish Golf Course)
Team scores (Day One)
Glacier Peak 422
Top individuals (Day One)
1. Mike Jenson (Mountlake Terrace), 72
2. (tie) Andrew Martin (Everett), 73
2. (tie) Quinton Borseth (Stanwood), 73
4. Austin Faux (Arlington), 76
5. Conner Stephens (Arlington), 78
6. (tie) Colin Strobeck (Edmonds-Woodway), 79
6. (tie) Rui Nakagawa (Lynnwood), 79
8. (tie) Tyler Spalti (Glacier Peak), 80
8. (tie) Bradley Wong (Shorewood), 80
10. (tie) Jacob Largent (Mountlake Terrace), 81
10. (tie) Cody Oakes (Arlington), 81
10. (tie) Dane Larson (Ferndale), 81
10. (tie) JD Trueax (Marysville-Pilchuck) 81
— Story and photo by Doug Petrowski