Volkswagen catches fire near Gateway Plaza Wednesday

490
0
A firefighter shovels sand onto a hot spot beneath the vehicle.
A firefighter shovels sand onto a hot spot beneath the vehicle.

No one was injured when a 1980 Volkswagen Vanagon erupted into flames near the intersection of Gateway Boulevard and 244th Street Southwest in Mountlake Terrace on Wednesday night.

Firefighters from Fire District 1 described the vehicle as “fully engulfed in flames” when they arrived at approximately 9:30 p.m. The Vanagon had about $500 of hockey equipment inside the vehicle appeared to be a total loss.

The owner of the vehicle and a passenger escaped the vehicle unharmed.

The intersection serves as the only route into and out of the Gateway Plaza business and entertainment district which includes the Cinebarre Theater and Mazatlan Restaurant. Patrons of businesses in the district were able to use a lane of traffic to leave the area, but the incident and response from Fire District 1 blocked access from allowing drivers to enter Gateway Plaza.

— Story and photo by Doug Petrowski

 

Leave a Reply