The city of Mountlake Terrace is going through major development changes and is being compared to the Mill Creek of 10 years ago.
- I really like what has happened in the Mill Creek Town Square area, as well as Kirkland. It is nice to have clusters of stores and restaurants, not strip malls because it encourages walking by local residents.
- Yes, anything that encourages walking is fantastic. Strip malls are ugly. I know there are big plans for a town center, but honestly, I am not holding my breath. I hope it comes to fruition, but I have seen wealthier towns than ours struggle with funding and plans….
- Ain’t gonna happen… Mill Creek has been successful because of it’s adherence, since its founding, to a single BIG plan. MLT (I love you) has always been developed according to a bunch of little plans, in large part because of the populace’s competing visions of what the town could/should be. I CAN see future development akin to Monroe’s Main Street example, however.
- Hard to compare, Mill Creek has always been on the highway 527 corridor. Conversely there is no reason to go to MLT unless you live here. The relative isolation of MLT and the proximity to Lynnwood and Alderwood shopping areas would make it hard for Terrace to become a new Mill Creek.
- Mountlake Terrace will always be a great bedroom community for those working in any of the three top cities in the State. Mill Creek is still a bedroom community, albeit a newer one due to new development. We have tons of 1950s construction around that is not in great condition. As for the development, now is a horrible time to be developingbecause leasing comes before the sticks and bricks. Any leases signed now would be at rock-bottom prices, insufficient to underwrite the loans or bonds needed to finance the construction.
- The obvious key to make this happen will be attracting developers who like getting land at less expensive prices, yet have the capital to invest in making an already great little “unknown” city into a destination for dinner, shopping, etc. The park & ride will help with needed parking & is already built. With a few tweaks on the nearby parks, it becomes a great place to visit.
What do you think?