Happening nearby: Fire in detached garage causes $200,000 in damage

345
0
Screenshot (214).png
Photo courtesy Fire District 1

A detached garage in unincorporated Lynnwood caught fire Monday afternoon, causing $200,000 in damage and killing a cat.

A passerby called 911 just before 1 p.m. to report smoke coming from a large detached garage in the 20700 block of Larch Way, east of Lynnwood. Firefighters reported they saw smoke coming from the eaves when they arrived. Thick, black smoke was inside the 40-foot by 60-foot, two-story metal building, Leslie Hynes, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman, said.

No one was inside the building at the time of the fire. Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Lynnwood responded and kept the fire contained to the garage. Crews had the fire under control within 25 minutes. No one was injured, but the family’s cat died in the fire.

Numerous remote-control, battery-powered cars, airplanes and boats were located in the area where the fire started. An investigator for the Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was most likely electrical.

The fire heavily damaged most of the items inside the garage including the remote-control vehicles, numerous power tools and a hydroplane.

Leave a Reply