Fire at Mountlake Terrace apartment complex causes $500,000 damage, displaces 25 residents

864
1

A two-alarm fire at a Mountlake Terrace apartment complex Friday morning caused more than $500,000 damage and displaced 25 residents.

A resident at the Taluswood Apartments in the 4300 block of 236th St. SW reported the fire at 8:19 a.m. Flames were coming from three apartments in a three-story, 24-unit building when firefighters arrived, said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire and emergency medical service in the City of Mountlake Terrace.

About 45 firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood, Bothell and Shoreline were on the scene at the peak of the fire. No one was injured. Firefighters administered oxygen to one dog they rescued from a third-floor apartment that was heavily damaged by the fire. The dog, Daisy Mae, is being treated at a local emergency veterinary clinic.

The fire was contained to three apartments. Two other units had smoke and water damage. Residents of seven other units were displaced because the fire cut off power to their apartments. The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross is providing assistance to the 25 displaced residents.

A fire investigator determined the fire was accidental and was most likely started by a smoldering cigarette butt.

Fire District 1 offers these safety tips to prevent a smoking-related fire:

  • Use deep, wide ashtrays on a sturdy table.
  • Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.
  • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
  • To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you have to be alert. You won’t be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children’s sight and reach.

1 COMMENT

Leave a Reply