Fire injures one, displaces 14 in Alderwood Manor fourplex fire

477
0
Firefighters at the scene of the Alderwood Manor fire. (Photo courtesy of Fire District 1)
Firefighters at the scene of the Alderwood Manor fire. (Photo courtesy of Fire District 1)

One man was injured and 14 residents displaced after a two-alarm fire damaged a fourplex apartment building in unincorporated Snohomish County just north of Brier Thursday morning. The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the blaze was started accidentally.

“Firefighters treated a man who was exposed to smoke and flames. He was transported by medic unit to Swedish/Edmonds Hospital. His injuries did not appear to be life-threatening,” said Leslie Hynes, Public Information Officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1. “Five people safely exited the burning building.”

The injured man had been working in the garage of the fourplex when he stumbled and spilled gasoline; a heat source then ignited the gasoline fumes. He rented the garage in the fourplex and lives in a neighboring apartment building.

Dispatchers received multiple calls at 11:40 a.m. Thursday reporting smoke and flames coming from the two-story, four-unit building in the 20400 block of 28th Avenue West in the Alderwood Manor neighborhood.

Smoke was visible as firefighters approached the scene. The first crew to arrive quickly called for a second alarm to bring in more resources to contain the flames, which had already engulfed the back wall of two units. About 40 firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood and Bothell were on the scene at the peak of the fire. They had the fire under control within 20 minutes, but remained on the scene throughout the afternoon dealing with hot spots.

The fire caused heavy damage to two of the four units. Other units had smoke damage. All four units are uninhabitable as a result of the fire. A total of 14 residents, including six children, have been displaced; Support 7 and Red Cross are providing assistance. None of the residents reportedly had insurance.

Leave a Reply