Christmas tree safety tips from Fire District 1

510
0

Christmas tree 004Snohomish County Fire District 1 is reminding residents to keep safety in mind as they trim the tree and deck the halls this holiday season.
“We’ve had three Christmas tree fires in the past two years in our service area. Fortunately, no one was injured, but the damage was significant and forced three families from their homes,” said Fire Chief Ed Widdis.

To prevent holiday tragedies, Fire District 1 offers these safety tips:

* Replace any string of lights that has worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
* Connect no more than three strands of mini-string sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs. Read manufacturer’s instructions for the number of LED strands to connect.
* Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving or going to bed.
* Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
* Place the tree at least three feet away from any heat source such as a fireplace, radiator, candle, heat vent or light.
* Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
* Place water in the tree stand daily.
* After Christmas, get rid of the tree. Dried-out trees are a fire hazard and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside near the house.

Leave a Reply