Candle sparks fire in duplex

469
0

A candle sparked a fire that caused more than $35,000 damage to a duplex last night and displaced the two men that lived there.

A neighbor called 9-1-1 around 8:45 p.m. to report the fire in a duplex in the 21200 block of 58th Ave. W. The neighbor then pounded on the doors of both duplex units to alert residents to the fire. No one was home in the unit that was on fire, but the knocking woke a couple and a young child in the adjoining unit. They safely exited their home and there were no injuries.

When firefighters arrived, windows of the duplex were black from smoke and flames were visible in one room, said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire District 1 and Lynnwood Fire Department responded and had the fire under control in about 10 minutes. “They made a quick attack and contained the flames to the bedroom where the fire started,” Hynes said.

The bedroom was heavily damaged by flames and the rest of the unit sustained significant smoke damage. Support 7 and Red Cross responded to assist the two men who rented the unit. The renters did not have insurance.

The neighboring unit of the duplex was not damaged by the fire and the residents were able to return to their home after firefighters cleared away the smoke.

Fire investigators determined the fire was most likely started by a candle that was too close to combustibles in the bedroom.

Fire District 1 offers these safety tips for candle use:

  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.

cc licensed flickr photo by Uncle Paul the Birdman: off till further notice.: http://flickr.com/photos/themensp/2123105226/

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here