The Edmonds Community College Foundation is in its final stretch of a $1 million fundraising campaign — the Boots to Books and Beyond campaign — to support student veterans and their families at Edmonds Community College.
“Edmonds CC is committed to ensuring a supportive path from military service to college and beyond,” said Dr. Jean Hernandez, Edmonds CC President. “Over the past two years, we have worked to identify the needs of student veterans and expand our services to support their success.”
The Boots to Books and Beyond campaign supports student veteran success in a number of ways, including:
– Providing more extensive on-campus support services, including services for those facing visible and invisible wounds.
– Providing emergency and “gap” funds for unexpected expenses.
– Creating inviting space where they can network, share experiences, and access college and community information.
– Providing help in translating their military experiences into credits and meaningful employment.
– Offering peer mentoring to provide emotional and academic support from those with similar experiences.
– Offering employee training to enhance understanding of military culture and veteran reintegration challenges.
– Ensuring that student veterans succeed by creating an endowment for scholarships.
“We are in the final push toward victory in reaching our campaign goal,” said Steve Pennington, campaign co-chair and Foundation Board of Director member. “Our community has stepped forward to support critical services for our veterans and their families. With 24 percent more student veterans being served in the Veterans Resource Center this year, our support is already making an impact.”
“Thanks to an outpouring of generosity from our community, we have raised more than $870,000,” said Hernandez. “The goal is to complete the campaign in November to commemorate Veterans Day.”
You are invited to join the campaign and visit with President Jean Hernandez at the college’s Veterans Resource Center and tour the center, meet our employees and students, and enjoy refreshments on Monday, Oct. 20, Veterans Resource Center, Lynnwood Hall, second floor
2-3:30 p.m. – Cookies and Coffee at the Veterans Resource Center
5-7 p.m. – Wine and Cheese at the Veterans Resource Center
Lynnwood Hall on the Edmonds Community College campus is located at 20000 68th Ave. W,, Lynnwood. Directions and campus maps are available at www.edcc.edu/campus.