The Mountlake Terrace Recreation Pavilion pool is hosting April Pools Day, a free family event promoting swimming safety and swimming as a healthy lifestyle on Saturday, Apr. 6, 9 a.m.-noon.
The event will also feature a special appearance by Margaret Hoelzer, 2004 and 2008 Olympian and three-time 2008 medalist, from 10-11 a.m. “I’m excited to be a part of April Pools Day,” said Hoelzer. “Swimming helped provide me with self-esteem and is a great way for the whole family to stay healthy and have fun.”
“Teaching others about water safety is also important to me. Even though the water is fun, it can be a dangerous place, especially for children who aren’t aware of the importance of safe activities in and around the water,” Hoelzer added.
Among the activities at this year’s April Pools Day will be:
* a free swim from 9 a.m.-noon,
* free Swedish/Edmonds mini first-aid kits and hand sanitizer,
* a life jacket door prize drawing (must be present to win),
* life jacket test drives (try on different kinds and learn how to pick the correct size),
* stations around the pool where participants can learn about water safety,
* first aid tips from a Swedish/Edmonds Emergency Department medical professional.
The event is sponsored by Swedish/Edmonds and the Mountlake Terrace Recreation and Parks Department. For more information about April Pools Day, go to www.swedish.org/AprilPoolsDay, www.mltrec.com or call 425-776-9173. The Recreation Pavilion is located at 5303-228th St. S.W. in Mountlake Terrace.